MIDWINTER DAWN - Framed Collectors Piece
Top scoring RAF Ace Johnnie Johnson leads the Mk.IX Spitfires of 421 Sqn RCAF out on patrol from Evère near Brussels, close to the German front line. As the Canadians climb steadily out, the golden light of dawn reveals a snow-clad landscape firmly held in the icy grip of winter, December 1944.
Without doubt one of the most famous aircraft of WWII, the Spitfire became the backbone of RAF Fighter Command seeing action through the Battle of Britain, the Mediterranean, Pacific and South-East Asian theatres as well as playing a prominent role on D-Day and the subsequent Allied advance through Europe.
In tribute to this iconic aircraft, this outstanding print by the world's most collected aviation artist portrays the Spitfire being flown by one of the most famous pilots ever to take to her cockpit – Air Vice-Marshal J. E. ‘JOHNNIE’ JOHNSON.
The print has been personally signed by Johnnie along with seven Spitfire pilots who flew on D-Day, including three high scoring Canadian Spitfire Aces. It has been expertly framed to include museum quality reproduction RCAF Wings along with the photographs and original signatures of a further four highly decorated Canadian Spitfire Aces, creating a superb TWELVE SIGNATURE collectors piece.
- Air Vice-Marshal JOHNNIE JOHNSON CB CBE DSO** DFC*
- Wing Commander 'Stocky' Edwards DFC* DFM
- Wing Commander James Lindsay DFC
- Lieutenant General Don Laubman
- Flight Lieutenant STANISLAW NAWARSKI DFC KM
- Flight Sergeant Ron Farnborough
- Flight Lieutenant Rodney Scrase DFC RAFVR
- Flight Lieutenant Jimmy Taylor
- Squadron Leader Robert K Haywood DSO DFC
- Squadron Leader Danny Browne
- Squadron Leader Freddy Evans
- Group Captain DENNIS MALLOY DFC
- Framed Prints
- 39.5 x 33 inches
Shipping available on this item
Prices listed on framed items do not include shipping. If you purchase this item, we'll contact you to discuss shipping costs.