Captain Walker ‘Bud’ Mahurin in formation with P-47 Thunderbolts of the 56th Fighter Group – “The Wolfpack”, climbs out through majestic clouds high above the east coast of England as they prepare to escort B-24 Liberators of the 392nd Bomb Group on a mission to the German port of Bremen, 26 November, 1943. A tough battle with the Luftwaffe lies ahead, but today the escorting “Wolfpack” will claim an ETO record, destroying more enemy aircraft in a day than any other fighter group and Mahurin will add three more victories to his tally, to become the leading Ace in the Group. The bombers have none better to protect them.
A stunning painting from the world’s foremost aviation artist personally signed by a staggering number of original Wolfpack veterans - this has to be the greatest tribute to the 56th Fighter Group ever produced.
The Limited Edition
Each print in this edition is personally signed by THREE highly respected 56th Fighter Group Pilots:
- Colonel Walker 'Bud' Mahurin
- Brigadier General Les C. Smith
- Brigadier General Lyle Adrianse
The Collectors Edition
This NINE signature edition is additionally issued with Robert Taylor's pilot signed companion print 'A Pack of Wolves' and signed by the following:
- Lieutenant John Bradshaw (Companion print)
- Colonel Billy Gene Edens (Companion Print)
- Captain Walter 'Wally' Groce
- Chief Warrant Officer Russell Kyler(Companion Print)
- Colonel Robert Rankin (Companion Print)
- Lieutenant Colonel Edgar Whitley
The Artist Proofs
These specially released TWELVE signature A/Proofs are additionally signed by further 56th F.G. pilots, including Bunny Comstock, pilot of the second aircraft in Robert's painting.
- Colonel Harold 'Bunny' Comstock
- Major Michael B. Gladych
- Captain Shirley 'S.D.' Ulch
The Wolfpack Tribute Proofs
This outstanding collectors piece is released with all the components of the Artist Proofs, but each companion print 'A PACK OF WOLVES' is further signed and matted to museum quality to include the signatures of the three most famous Aces associated with the 56th Fighter Group. This edition has a total of SEVENTEEN signatures.
- Colonel Gordon Batdorf (Companion Print)
- Colonel Francis 'Gabby' Gabreski (Matted with Companion Print)
- Lieutenant Colonel Robert S. Johnson (Matted with Companion Print)
- Colonel Robert Winters (Companion Print)
- Colonel 'Hub' Zemke (Matted with Companion Print)
- 34.75 x 26.5 inches
- Release Date:
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.