STRIKE AND RETURN - Framed Collectors Piece
by Robert Taylor
Winter in Northern Europe brings short days, long nights and, for the most part, appalling weather making navigation difficult and flying hazardous. Add snowstorms, gale force winds, freezing temperatures and rudimental navigation aids, it seems a miracle the brave young men of RAF Bomber Command were able to continue at all. But continue they did.
Robert’s superb piece depicts Lancasters of 460 Squadron RAAF returning to their Lincolnshire base following a daylight raid over Germany in the late winter of 1944. With the sun almost set, evening shadows lengthen on a magnificent winter landscape dusted with snow.
Included in this two-print Collector’s Edition is the matching-numbered companion print NIGHT ATTACK and the set has been personally autographed by nine veterans of Bomber Command including a famous recipient of the Victoria Cross, Bill Reid.
This unique pair has been expertly framed to include reproduction RAF wings and the original signatures of a further four Bomber Command veterans, creating an amazing THIRTEEN signature tribute:
- Squadron Leader Pat Carden DFC AE
- Flight Lieutenant Bob Knights DSO DFC
- Squadron Leader Tony Iveson DFC AE
- Flying Officer Bill North
- Group Captain Dudley Burnside DSO OBE DFC*
- Squadron Leader Lawrence Curtis DFC* AE
- Wing Commander Ernest Rodley DSO DFC AFC AE
- Flight Lieutenant Fred Watts DFC
- Flight Lieutenant Bill Reid VC
- Marshal of the RAF Sir Michael Beetham GCB CBE DFC AFC FRAeS
- Flight Lieutenant Jim Bell DFC
- Flight Lieutenant Leslie Hay
- Flying Officer Arthur De Breyne
- Framed Prints
- 34.5 x 31 inches
Shipping available on this item
Prices listed on framed items do not include shipping. If you purchase this item, we'll contact you to discuss shipping costs.