During the early part of WWII the coastline of Britain was constantly under threat, particularly the busy shipping lanes of the North Sea.
The RAF played a vital role in protecting these supplies, taking part on long range patrols that were often long and arduous for the young pilots taking part. Often fighter squadrons being ‘rested’ during the Battle of Britain, would be moved north to carry out these coastal patrols before returning to the more intense fighting in the south.
This superb piece captures the mood on one such patrol as Spitfires of 610 Squadron return to their base flying over the Humber Estuary as the sun sets in the distance, late in 1940.
The Limited Edition
Each print is hand numbered and personally signed by the artist along with EIGHT of the most respected and highest scoring Fighter Aces of the RAF, all of whom took part in such North Sea patrols during World War II:
- Group Captain Desmond Sheen DFC*
- Wing Commander Paddy Barthropp DFC AFC
- Squadron Leader Neville Duke DSO OBE DFC **
- Group Captain Tom Dalton Morgan DSO OBE DFC*
- Squadron Leader Basil 'Stapme' Stapleton DFC
- Air Commodore Peter Brothers CBE DSO DFC*
- Squadron Leader A.C. Leigh DFC DFM
- Wing Commander Harbourne Stephen CBE DSO DFC*
The Artist Proofs and Remarques
Each print in these TWELVE signature editions is additionally signed by the following WWII Fighter Aces:
- Air Vice Marshal Johnnie Johnson CB CBE DSO** DFC*
- Squadron Leader John Bentley Beard
- Wing Commander Tom Neil DFC* AFC AE
- Wing Commander Eric Barwell DFC*
The Publisher Proofs
These superb proofs are issued with an ORIGINAL pencil drawing by artist Gerald Coulson, each depicting a typical Spitfire scramble scene from the Battle of Britain. Conservation matted to include the 1939 - 1945 Star with Battle of Britain clasp, the drawing is personally hand signed by the following Battle of Britain Fighter Aces:
- Air Commodore Sir Archie Winskill KCVO CBE DFC*
- Wing Commander Ken Mackenzie
- Wing Commander Peter Parrot DFC* AFC
- Group Captain Billy Drake DSO DFC*
- 36.75 x 24.25 inches
- Release Date:
Editions that feature original and unique artwork, such as Remarque, Tribute and matted editions, are specifically hand-crafted to order. As a result, our normal delivery policies do not apply to these items but we’ll be sure to update you as soon as your drawing is complete. If you have any particular request for your remarque drawing – such as specific aircraft markings – please ask when placing your order and we will do our best to accommodate.
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.