THE STRAGGLER RETURNS - Framed Collectors Piece
Damaged by flak and enemy fighters, with parts of the flaps and elevators missing, and the port outer engine overheating, the pilot and his crew have pulled together to get their ship home. Down on power, and handling badly she has slipped further and further behind the main formation on the long flight home, but she has made it! Below are the green fields of England and with just a few more miles to run, the straggler returns.
Published 30 years ago this sought-after print is in mint condition and signed by four of the best known pilots in Bomber Command: Gp Capt LEONARD CHESHIRE VC, Sqn Ldr DAVE SHANNON, Gp Capt JAMES TAIT and Flt Lt BILL REID VC.
The conservation matting incorporates a further TEN Bomber Command signatures including two further recipients of the Victoria Cross – W.O. NORMAN JACKSON and Wg Cdr ROD LEAROYD, together with the original signature of MRAF Sir ARTHUR HARRIS, the legendary Commander-in-Chief of Bomber Command during WWII:
The full list of signatures reads:
- Group Captain Leonard Cheshire VC OM DSO** DFC*
- Squadron Leader David Shannon DSO* DFC*
- Group Captain James 'Willie' Tait DSO*** DFC* ADC
- Flight Lieutenant Bill Reid VC
- Marshal of the RAF Sir Arthur T. Harris BT, GCB OBE DD
- Wing Commander Ernest Rodley DSO DFC AFC AE
- Squadron Leader Norman Scrivener DSO DFC AE
- Air Commodore Wilf Burnett DSO, OBE, DFC, AFC
- Warrant Officer Norman Jackson VC
- Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie DSO DFC AFC* FRAeS
- Air Vice Marshal Don Bennett CB CBE DSO FRAes
- Marshal of the RAF Sir Michael Beetham GCB CBE DFC AFC FRAeS
- Flight Lieutenant James Castagnola DSO DFC
- Flight Lieutenant Bob Knights DSO DFC
- Wing Commander Rod Learoyd VC
- Framed Prints
- 33.75 x 33.25 inches
Shipping available on this item
Prices listed on framed items do not include shipping. If you purchase this item, we'll contact you to discuss shipping costs.