CLOSING THE GAP
Typhoon Mk1b fighter-bombers of 247 Squadron exit the target area near Falaise at full throttle, wreaking devastation with their powerful rockets as fuel and ammunition from the retreating German column explode with shattering force. The Typhoons will hurtle back to base to re-arm and hastily re-fuel, ready for yet another withering strike on the encircled Wehrmacht columns.
In our opinion this superb edition from the worlds most collected aviation artist, is quite literally one of the best images he has ever produced.
Robert has only once before depicted the Typhoon and in his usual unsurpassed style he captures perfectly the raw power and sheer ferocity of these awesome aircraft as they wreak havoc amongst the German artillery during the famous Battle for Normandy. As a lasting tribute to the brave young RAF Fighter Pilots of the twenty squadrons of rocket-firing Hawker Typhoons who flew those perilous ground attacks during the invasion, and with a possible FIFTY signatures available in the edition, CLOSING THE GAP continues to prove hugely collectable amongst aviation specialists.
The Limited Edition
Every print in this edition has been signed by three hugely respected RAF Typhoon pilots who flew and fought in the skies over Normandy along with the artist Robert Taylor, and hand-numbered.
- Squadron Leader Percival Beake DFC
- Warrant Officer Jack Hodges DFC
- Warrant Officer John 'Abe' Lincoln
The Typhoon Edition
In addition to the pilots signing the limited edition, each print in this remarkable TEN signature Typhoon Edition is also signed by the following distinguished Typhoon fighter pilots.
- Flight Lieutenant Sir John Atkinson KCB DFC
- Flying Officer Kenneth 'Junior' Kneen
- Air Commodore C.D. 'Kit' North-Lewis DSO DFC
- Warrant Officer Doug Oram
- Squadron Leader Basil 'Stapme' Stapleton DFC
- Flying Officer Frank Wheeler DFC
- Pilot Officer 'Rusty' Townsend
The Normandy Veterans Edition
This impressive edition commemorates both the British Air and Land Forces who fought so valiantly in the grueling Battle of Normandy. Joining the ten RAF fighter pilots on the Typhoon Edition, each print is additionally signed by ten British Army veterans who fought in the Normandy breakout, making a total of TWENTY signatures in this edition.
- Staff Sergeant Peter Boyle
- Staff Sergeant John Brown
- Lance Corporal Alex Coventry
- Lance Corporal Alex Dixon
- Gunner Bill Grantham
- Lance Corporal Ray Williams
- Sergeant 'Tich' Rayner
- Driver Tom Sherbrook
- Corporal Bob Weedon
- Private Wally Menday
The Knight's Cross Edition
The following six Knight’s Cross holders have each signed an original and unique pencil drawing by Robert Taylor. Robert’s superb portrayal of German armour, coupled with a total of TWENTY SIX signatures in the edition limited to just 15 copies, represents a wonderful opportunity for all serious World War II collectors.
- Oberleutnant Otto Carius KC with Oak Leaves
- Oberscharführer Gerhard Fischer KC
- Hauptsturmführer Walther Girg KC with Oak Leaves
- Oberfeldwebel Albert Kerscher KC with Oak Leaves
- Oberstleutnant Norbert Kujacinski KC
- Oberscharführer Richard Rudolf KC
The Wittman Publisher Proofs
In the history of armour the name of Michael Wittmann is unsurpassed, and his signature highly collectible. The rarity of these FIVE Tribute Proofs comprising an original pencil drawing by Robert Taylor signed by twenty-nine Panzer tank commanders and crew who hold Germany’s coveted Knight’s Cross, and matted to include the authentic signature of Michael Wittmann is also unsurpassed. Add a copy of Robert’s limited edition signed by twenty RAF and British Army veterans and this is without doubt one of the most exclusive editions ever offered.
- SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann
- Oberwachtmeister Willi Bachor KC with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Leutnant Ludwig Bauer KC
- Major Werner Freiherr von Beschwitz KC
- Oberfähnrich Fritz Birnbaum KC
- Untersturmführer Karl Brommann KC
- Obersturmbannführer Fritz Darges KC
- Obersturmführer Paul Egger KC
- Oberscharführer Gerhard Fischer KC
- GeneralOberst Heinz Guderian KC
- Hauptsturmführer Willi Hein KC
- Major Clemens Graf von Kageneck KC with Oak Leaves
- Obersturmbannführer Paul Albert Kausch KC with Oak Leaves
- Oberleutnant Erwin Kreßmann KC
- Generalmajor Otto Kumm KC with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Hauptsturmführer Karl Heinz Lichte KC
- Hauptmann Hannibal Von Lüttichau und Bärenstein KC
- Major Kuno Von Meyer KC with Oak Leaves
- Untersturmführer Oskar Schäfer KC
- Major Fritz-Rudolf Schultz KC with Oak Leaves
- Hauptsturmführer Hans Siegel KC
- Oberleutnant Wilhelm Weidenbrück KC
- Hauptmann Erich Weise KC War Merit
- Major Alfred Wolf KC
- 35 x 25 inches
- Release Date:
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.