On 14 June 1940, the first German jackboots were heard on the streets of Paris. Within days France signed an armistice and Hitler could now turn his avaricious eyes north and across the grey waters of the Channel. The island of Britain stood alone and, faced with the threat of imminent invasion, few gave her much chance of survival.
Before the all-conquering Panzers could invade, Germany needed to gain air superiority and Goering boasted that his Luftwaffe ‘would quickly sweep the RAF from the skies’ – how wrong he would be.
The Battle of Britain began on 10 July 1940 and for the next eight weeks most front-line squadrons were often flying four missions a day. Against overwhelming and seemingly impossible odds, the RAF repelled the Luftwaffe and by the end of October it was over.
Richard’s stunning painting Channel Sweep depicts Mk1 Spitfires from 92 Squadron undertaking a defensive sweep along the Kent coastline against the dramatic backdrop of the white cliffs of Dover, at the height of the battle in September 1940.
The Limited Edition
Every print has been hand-numbered and personally signed by the artist and three highly respected veterans who flew in the Battle of Britain.
- Wing Commander John 'Tim' Elkington
- Squadron Leader Tony Pickering AFC
- Flight Lieutenant William Robert 'Bob' Hughes DFC AE
The Remarque Editions
Each Remarque Edition features an original pencil drawing created in the border of the print while each Double Remarque features an exquisite double sized drawing. Each print is additionally signed by a further TEN Battle of Britain veterans:
- Flight Lieutenant Leonard Davies
- Flight Lieutenant Terry Clark DFM AE
- Wing Commander Bob Foster DFC
- Wing Commander Terence Kane
- Squadron Leader Tony Iveson DFC AE
- Wing Commander Tom Neil DFC* AFC AE
- Squadron Leader Nigel Rose
- Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum DFC
- Corporal Alec Gray
- Flying Officer Kenneth Wilkinson
The Publisher Proofs
Each of these stunning Proofs carries all thirteen signatures of the Remarque edition and has additionally been beautifully matted to conservation standards to include the original signatures of a further seven prominent Battle of Britain Aircrew.
- Wing Commander Paddy Barthropp DFC AFC
- Wing Commander Harbourne Stephen CBE DSO DFC*
- Wing Commander John Freeborn
- Air Commodore Peter Brothers CBE DSO DFC*
- Air Commodore Sir Archie Winskill KCVO CBE DFC*
- Squadron Leader Charles Frizell
- Sergeant Leopold Heimes
- 25 x 16 inches
- Release Date:
Editions that feature original and unique artwork, such as Remarque, Tribute and matted editions, are specifically hand-crafted to order. As a result, our normal delivery policies do not apply to these items but we’ll be sure to update you as soon as your drawing is complete. If you have any particular request for your remarque drawing – such as specific aircraft markings – please ask when placing your order and we will do our best to accommodate.
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.