BLACK NOVEMBER DAY - Original Pencil Drawing
by Robert Taylor
During the final months of World War Two, a special Luftwaffe fighter Gruppe was formed to test and establish tactics for the revolutionary Me262 jet. Named ‘Kommando Nowotny’, the group was created and named after their first commander, Walter Nowotny, the highly-regarded Ace who finished the war with 258 aerial victories in 442 combat missions.
Robert’s famous drawing depicts the scene on 8 November 1944 as Walter Nowotny’s aircraft is readied for the day’s action; little does he know that it’ll be his last. After initial engine problems delayed take off, he eventually got airborne and claimed two victories over intruding USAAF aircraft, before encountering engine failure. He was remembered as the first pilot to reach 250 victories and at the fifth highest-scoring Ace of the war.
Until recently this outstanding piece has proudly hung in a private collection, but we’re now delighted to have it available for sale.
Aside from the main original drawing, the composition also includes:
- an original pencil portrait of Walter Nowotny, completed on a wartime document boasting his original autograph
- an original Luftwaffe cap badge
- the original autographs of a further thirteen Luftwaffe pilots who flew the Me262 through various forms of testing and development with many achieving Ace status in combat
A completely unique FOURTEEN signature collector’s piece that can’t be replicated!
The full list of signatures reads:
- Major Walter Nowotny
- Oberleutnant Walter Schuck KC with Oak Leaves
- Leutnant Alfred Ambs
- Leutnant Norbert Hannig IC
- General Johannes 'Macky' Steinhoff KC with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Oberst Erich Hartmann KC with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds
- Leutnant Herbert Kaiser KC
- Generalleutnant Walter Krupinski KC with Oak Leaves
- Generalleutnant Adolf Galland KC with Oak Leaves Swords and Diamonds
- Major Erich Rudorffer KC with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Leutnant Viktor Petermann KC
- Oberstleutnant Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert KC with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Major Werner Roell Knight's Cross
- Oberst Hermann Buchner KC
- Original Pencil
- 35.75 x 23.75 inches
Shipping available on this item
Prices listed on framed items do not include shipping. If you purchase this item, we'll contact you to discuss shipping costs.